M & A
Mergers and Acquisitions
Mergers and acquisitions (“M&A ”) are at the core of our practice. We regularly advise a wide range of international corporate clients on cross border and multi-jurisdictional M&A , complex joint ventures, disposals and general commercial and corporate governance issues. Our client-focused M&A work is defined by creativity and a commitment to careful planning and coordination throughout.
We have been adviser of choice on a large number of the more complex public and private company M&A transactions in Hong Kong, particularly on deals involving an international cross-border or significant PRC dimension. We have advised on significant M&A transactions across a broad section of industries, and are particularly experienced in advising on M&A in the mineral and natural resources sector.
We are frequently retained by major domestic and international mineral companies, financial institutions and leading international law firms to provide strategic counsel in M&A transactions. Among other things we advise on share and asset sales and transfers, take-overs, take-over defences, amalgamations and plans of arrangement. Our lawyers combine expert technical advice with a pragmatic and commercial approach.
At Charltons we are committed to helping our clients succeed. We acknowledge that mineral companies, particularly junior and pre-production companies, operate in an environment in which otherwise typical commercial transactions are often complicated by a unique combination of technical, financial and legal challenges.
Charltons is member of a number of international networks of top-tier independent law firms practicing in the world’s leading mining jurisdictions. We are positioned to offer our clients an integrated service on a broad range of M&A transactions in the mining sector including those with an international dimension.
Charltons’ Mergers and Acquisition services include:
- Takeovers, mergers and acquisitions in both private and public markets
- Due diligence investigations
- Management/leveraged buyouts
- Group restructurings and reorganisations
- Corporate finance and structuring
Charltons has worked on several M&A deals in the mining sector, including the following:
- Advised Zijin Mining Group Co., Ltd. – a Hong Kong and Shanghai listed miner – on its acquisition of Commonwealth & British Minerals Plc., a wholly- owned subsidiary of Avocet mining Plc. The target company owned significant gold assets in Tajikistan
- Advised Zijin Mining Group Co. Ltd. in relation to the acquisition of KazakhGold Group Ltd., a company listed in the U.K.
- Advised Golden Resource Mining (BVI) Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Zijin Mining Group Co., Ltd in their acquisition of of Indophil Resources NL,
- Advised Zijin Mining Group Co. Ltd on its acquisition of Kyrgyz and Kazak gold assets
- Advised Zijin International Mining Co., Ltd on its acquisition of certain Iranian assets owned by Rio Tinto pursuant to an international auction process
- Advised a PRC consortium company, Xiamen Zijin Tongguan Investment Development Company Limited, in relation to a cash offer to acquire Monterrico Metals Plc, an AIM-listed miner with copper assets in Peru, the first ever Chinese takeover of a UK listed company.
- Advised Hunan Nonferrous Metals Corporation Limited on a proposed A-Share issue and on a separate M&A amendment.
- Advised Zijin Mining Group Co., Ltd. on its acquisition of Norton Gold Fields Limited, an ASX-listed gold miner.
Read our latest News
NATURAL RESOURCES News The Bank of Russia has announced its plans to start purchasing gold after two years of refraining from purchasing bullion. The announcement follows from the sanctions imposed on the Russian central bank and several...
NATURAL RESOURCES News Andrew Forrest, Australian mining billionaire, stated on 26 February 2022 that he was investing USD $2.2 billion in renewable energy in central Queensland, Australia. His company Squadron Energy acquired the...
NATURAL RESOURCES News African countries captured 11% of the green hydrogen projects announced in 2021. Bridget van Dorsten, hydrogen and emerging technologies research analyst of consulting firm Wood Mackenzie stated that African...
NATURAL RESOURCES News Due to the Russo-Ukrainian War, Japan’s Nippon Steel stated that it is currently looking at alternative sources of iron ore from Brazil and Australia to purchase. Russia and Ukraine currently supply some 14% of their...
NATURAL RESOURCES News The Korea Mine Rehabilitation and Mineral Resource Corporation (KOMIR) and the Minerals Council of Australia (MCA) have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) regarding the increasing of exploration and...
NATURAL RESOURCES News MMG Limited, listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (1208:HK) announced on 07 February 2022 that it would have to stop production at its Las Bambas copper mine by the 20th of February as a result of an ongoing...